Thursday, June 7, 2007

Stay classy, Newport!

All I want to say is never EVER forgo art for a party.


Cold fried fusion at H2O.

My gal pals and I would have been much happier viewing “Black Sheep” last night (as planned) but ended up, instead, drinking bad wine (though having good conversation) and getting elbowed out of line for the bar by men wearing an amount of cologne inversely proportionate to their civility. I know that stench. The stench of desperation.

No, I’m being too hard on the whole scene. Rachel Dratch and the Nuge were only footsteps away and I’m sure we could have had some fresh convo.


Is that a baby arm on your head or are you just… Oh. Oh no, it’s a baby arm. My bad.

While we are on the subject – I don’t know if I mentioned this before, but Rachel Dratch is so fantastic in part because she is not afraid to play characters that are ugly. Mostly women are relegated to fall down or be mad slutty (or both!) to get a laugh and make it onto television and the like, so a female comic really has to grab the whole thing by the huevos. (And just as an aside – you have probably noticed – she’s quite attractive! And don’t get me started about that rack. Sorry… I couldn’t resist. After a couple margaritas last night I planned on entitling this blog entry “Dratch Stacked!” but thought better of it. Go me. Always taking the high road. I'm like a damn high priestess of tact and gentility.)


Fresh ‘n lovely wins the race.

Dratch seems refreshingly sensitive too (not that I would wish a sensitive existence on anyone). I saw her on one of the late night talk shows a couple years ago talking about meeting Bill Murray, one of her heroes, for the first time. He was coming towards her down the hall, waving, I think the story goes.

“I love your work!” he exclaimed, or similar. Dratch was overjoyed, of course. The sad clown had turned his leathery gaze upon her and recognized the jewel in her lotus (or something less cheesy). She waved back, just as he kept walking all the way by her. Murray was talking to Maya Rudolph who stood behind her.

“I thought they were doing a bit!” Dratch explained. That is how much she loves (loved?) Murray. She thought he and Rudolph were in on a prank on her. But no. Every time I see her I think of that story and want to tell her how great she is. And one of my comedienne friends tells me Murray doesn’t think women are funny anyway. But that’s pure conjecture on my part.

Anyway… back to Newport. We left H2O for more comfortable environs and opted for a drink at the Star Bar. Not before fending off a toothless guy whom the bartender would not serve (“Don’t be that way, baby,” were the only words we could understand him muttering to my friend and photographer extraordinaire Jacqueline Marque) and explaining to another man again that, no, we do not have any marijuana, we hopped out into the cool night air. And there on the side of the building a guy was taking a piss.

“Don’t look!” he peeped. We were glad he stayed classy.

4 comments:

Paige K said...

While it has been a great week of seeing world class films and meeting those who make them -- it's good to see local actors and familiar scenery on the big screen, too! If you feel up to rounding out your NIFF experience, two local filmmakers, Paige Kane of the Newport Film Salon and David Zapatka of JFC Films, will be showing their High Def shorts this Sunday, June 10th @4 pm at the Opera House. Come and see for yourself how good low budget can be.

Jenn Sutkowski said...

Hi Paige - I will definitely check out your film if I am still here on Sunday afternoon!

And I second that emotion - things do not have to be expensive to be great. Some of my favorite pants are from... oh, I will never tell my secrets. (Let's just say some grandpas may wake up mornings wondering where to their perma-creased polyester pants have disappeared. They may just see me, pants in hand, taking off over the horizon).

fancy brandy said...

i thought i left toothless wall-peeers behind in granby, ma! last night was somewhat sentimental in that respect. 'tis always more fun to mock classless assholes with a couple'a brilliant broads.

apologies to the gentleman who thought my remark referring to the "drunk and stupids" hanging out at the bar as if it was a bar and not a party was actually about him being drunk and/or stupid. however, judging by his immediate fleeing, i may have intimidated him into some good ol fashioned wall-peeage. yeah!

Anonymous said...

Hey,

I am regular visitor of this website[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url]Lots of good information here reelmercury.blogspot.com. Do you pay attention towards your health?. Let me show you one truth. Research points that closely 70% of all U.S. grownups are either obese or overweight[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url] Therefore if you're one of these citizens, you're not alone. Infact many among us need to lose 10 to 20 lbs once in a while to get sexy and perfect six pack abs. Now next question is how you can achive quick weight loss? [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips]Quick weight loss[/url] is really not as tough as you think. Some improvement in of daily activity can help us in losing weight quickly.

About me: I am writer of [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips]Quick weight loss tips[/url]. I am also mentor who can help you lose weight quickly. If you do not want to go under difficult training program than you may also try [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/acai-berry-for-quick-weight-loss]Acai Berry[/url] or [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/colon-cleanse-for-weight-loss]Colon Cleansing[/url] for effortless weight loss.